A GOOD PLACE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official MYTHIC BATTLES: PANTHEON message board.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Minotaur Abilities

Go down 
+8
Ayrkire
Ken
Teowulff
Oni60
Voice of Olympus
Leonidas
Telgar
skies
12 posters
AuthorMessage
skies
Villager

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty31st December 2016, 5:40 pm

Does the charge ability take the place of the Minotaur's turn, or can the Minotaur get to charge, and then do two simple actions as normal?  The ability consists of a move and attack, but it's also shown by the hourglass, which doesn't inherently require the use of any actions, right?  

How does bloodthirst work exactly?  It seems really bad having to spend an art of war card to reroll just 1 dice, as he only rolls up to 7 dice per attack.  Or is it supposed to work like:
Minotaur charge ability has him attacking 4 enemy units (4 groups of 6 dice), so for each of those attacks he gets 4 re-rolls?  Or is it just 1 dice for the first attack; as he's only rolled 1 group, 2 dice for the second, 3 for the third, and so on?
Back to top Go down
Telgar
Hero
Telgar

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty31st December 2016, 6:55 pm

It was confirmed earlier that there is a mistake on the dashboard. Charge cost 1 AoW and Bloodthirst is free.

The way I read the Bloodthirst Power is that you can reroll 1 dice (out of 6) on each of your 4 attacks (using your example).
Back to top Go down
https://the-overlord.com/
Leonidas
Herald
Leonidas

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty1st January 2017, 6:44 pm

Hi Skies,

There is indeed a mistake on the dashboard (layout mistake). I definitely confirm that Charge costs 1 AoW and Bloodthirst is free.

When the Minotaur uses the Charge Power, he can't do anything else. No more actions (no more attacks, or move, or claiming of an omphalos). You're right though, maybe we shouldn't show the Hourglass for this power. Quirkworthy/Voice of Olympus will fix that, but I know for sure the power is meant to work as I said: Charge during the Minotaur's turn, and nothing else can happen (his Bloodthirst power still works during the Charge).

The way Bloodthirst works is this: every time you roll a 5, you can reroll another dice. If you roll another 5, then you can again reroll another dice. Until you don't roll 5s or you don't want to reroll.
Let me give you an example:
Minotaur attacks a unit of 4 Amazons. He rolls 7 dice and gets the following results:
0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 4, 5.
A very poor roll. With such a roll, he would only kill 2 amazons.
Because he rolled a 5, he has the right to reroll another dice. He chooses to reroll one of the three 0s. He gets 5.
His new roll is :
5, 0, 0, 1, 2, 4, 5.
Because he rolled again a 5, he gets to reroll another dice. He chooses to reroll another of the two remaining 0s. He gets a 2.
His final roll is:
5, 2, 0, 1, 2, 4, 5. It is still considered to be his first roll.
The 5, 4 and 5 is more than the 4 Defence of the Amazons, so he kills 3 Amazons.
And then, he keeps a 2 (one of the two 2s) and puts away the 1 and the 2 (the 0 is lost), getting two +1 bonuses to add to the 2.
So 2 +1 +1 = 4. Enough to kill the fourth and last Amazon.

I hope it's clearer now! We will fix all this on the new Dashboard.

Thanks for noticing that!
Back to top Go down
http://www.us.mythicgames.net
Telgar
Hero
Telgar

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty1st January 2017, 10:22 pm

Thanks Leo for the information. A rewrite is indeed required as I understood different things :

1/ Charge. Should it be the lightning symbol ? (alternate attack) In this case, move + charge or charge + claim Omphalos for instance may be possible.
Or should it replace all simple actions ?

[Edit] Your description is clear. Not sure what the symbol is for a all-activation action.

2/ Bloodthirst. So this is completely different than the text "reroll 1 dice for every group of 5 dice".
Cool system but won't it be too long to describe in the power section Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Voice of Olympus
Herald
Voice of Olympus

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty1st January 2017, 11:06 pm

Charge is a funny one as it is intended to take up both the unit's simple actions, rather than just the ATTACK a normal special attack does. This needs to be explained on the dashboard.

Bloodthirst confused me too, and needs a complete rewrite.
Back to top Go down
Oni60
Villager

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty2nd January 2017, 11:25 am

Maybe :

"Before resolving your first roll, everytime you roll a 5, you may reroll another dice".
Back to top Go down
Teowulff
Villager
Teowulff

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty2nd January 2017, 11:37 am

I see. So basically Charge will use 2 simple actions.
Then probably the same will the case with the Boar's Charge, Tityos' Rock and Roll and the Bull's Conflagration. Still leaving the option of performing an "end of turn" power.
Back to top Go down
Voice of Olympus
Herald
Voice of Olympus

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty2nd January 2017, 12:22 pm

@Teowulff - exactly. Same for all of them, and leaves the option for other powers at the end.
Back to top Go down
skies
Villager

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty2nd January 2017, 4:20 pm

Oh, that's for that explanation. It makes a lot more sense now.

For power's like Minotaur charge that are supposed to use both simple actions, you could probably just add the text "use this power as a special action", or you could make a new ability type and symbol if there are enough 'this ability is the turn' abilities.
Back to top Go down
Telgar
Hero
Telgar

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty2nd January 2017, 4:33 pm

"Special action" has a special meaning Rolling Eyes and it implies that Powers cannot be used which is not the case here.
However, I agree that we could have a dedicated symbol to designate a power which expands all simple actions.
Back to top Go down
Ken
Villager
Ken

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty2nd January 2017, 5:46 pm

With this rule change, Bloodthirst went from mediocre to really good.
Back to top Go down
Ayrkire
Villager
Ayrkire

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty4th January 2017, 6:59 pm

Good to know the clarification for the Minotaur. I'm happy to see the team is working on making these updates. When changes to the card are made will they be posted somewhere for us to see... maybe a dedicated forum area?
Back to top Go down
Telgar
Hero
Telgar

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty4th January 2017, 9:12 pm

I would like too to see updated dashboards but I guess work on rules is to be performed first.
Back to top Go down
Teowulff
Villager
Teowulff

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty5th January 2017, 8:15 am

I'm a bit surprised that a dashboard of a core box unit that has been playtested for over a year has so many errata! Smile

Were these mere translational issues or .. ?
Back to top Go down
Ken
Villager
Ken

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty7th January 2017, 3:54 am

Leonidas wrote:
There is indeed a mistake on the dashboard (layout mistake). I definitely confirm that Charge costs 1 AoW and Bloodthirst is free.

When the Minotaur uses the Charge Power, he can't do anything else. No more actions (no more attacks, or move, or claiming of an omphalos). You're right though, maybe we shouldn't show the Hourglass for this power. Quirkworthy/Voice of Olympus will fix that, but I know for sure the power is meant to work as I said: Charge during the Minotaur's turn, and nothing else can happen (his Bloodthirst power still works during the Charge).

The way Bloodthirst works is this: every time you roll a 5, you can reroll another dice. If you roll another 5, then you can again reroll another dice. Until you don't roll 5s or you don't want to reroll.

I mocked up a dashboard to incorporate these changes for the Minotaur for my PNP. This is easier than having to explain the changes to my friends all the time. Smile

Figured I would share here in case anyone else is having the same troubles.

(If it is not appropriate to post this, let me know and I will remove it.)

Minotaur Abilities Minota11

Last edited by Ken on 7th January 2017, 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WTFGamer
Villager
WTFGamer

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty7th January 2017, 4:52 am

+1 Ken!
Back to top Go down
WTFGamer
Villager
WTFGamer

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty7th January 2017, 5:03 am

Teowulff wrote:

Were these mere translational issues or .. ?

Leo and/or QW stated one reason for the bad dashboards was the rush to create dashboards to show during the campaign. The demo videos all showed a wheel dashboard that I'm glad they didn't stay with. While I worry about wear, this slider design is much better. But that led to the wrong files being used. That's the story being told.

I think there's still some balancing to do. You can see the designer giving QW a heads up that the Atlanta wheel had 1 too many AoW being provided. Guess what her dashboard said in the PnP? I don't mind this. There's obviously a lot of love and interest in getting things right. I don't think it's possible to ship a perfect board game. Too many variables. And opinion is always going to be subjective. But this is a good place and it's doing a great job helping fix as much as possible before the mighty print button gets pushed.
Back to top Go down
Cryocat
Villager
Cryocat

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty7th January 2017, 6:00 am

Ken wrote:
Leonidas wrote:

I mocked up a dashboard to incorporate these changes for the Minotaur for my PNP. This is easier than having to explain the changes to my friends all the time. Smile

Figured I would share here in case anyone else is having the same troubles.

(If it is not appropriate to post this, let me know and I will remove it.)

Minotaur Abilities Minota10

I might have missed this, but is Bloodthirst only available on the first lot of rolls? For instance, if you roll a 5 on an exploding dice, can you reroll another exploding dice if it rolled a blank for instance?
Back to top Go down
Ken
Villager
Ken

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty7th January 2017, 6:10 am

Without evidence to the contrary, I would assume it works whenever you roll a natural five.

By the way, looks like this power already exists under a different name.

Minotaur Abilities Herald11
Back to top Go down
Cryocat
Villager
Cryocat

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty7th January 2017, 9:56 am

Ahhhh yes, well it would make sense to have the same wording on both of these, the winged apes seems clearer
Back to top Go down
Garshell
Spartan
Garshell

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty7th January 2017, 10:14 am

Cryocat wrote:
Ahhhh yes, well it would make sense to have the same wording on both of these, the winged apes seems clearer

But this Herald one got a difference too =))
Its only on natural 5, so no mix and no other 5 than the first throw.
Back to top Go down
WTFGamer
Villager
WTFGamer

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty7th January 2017, 8:56 pm

Leo's example doesn't mention this since his target number is 4, but the wording of Bloodlust gives the impression that Bloodthirst could trigger rerolls by building a die to an "unnatural" 5. I assume that's what Garshell means by "mix". So if I roll a 4, 1, and a blank:

I could remove the 1.
Turn the 4 to a 5.
Reroll the blank.

Is this the intent?
Back to top Go down
berv63
Villager

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty29th December 2017, 9:37 pm

WTFGamer wrote:
Leo's example doesn't mention this since his target number is 4, but the wording of Bloodlust gives the impression that Bloodthirst could trigger rerolls by building a die to an "unnatural" 5.  I assume that's what Garshell means by "mix".  So if I roll a 4, 1, and a blank:

I could remove the 1.
Turn the 4 to a 5.
Reroll the blank.

Is this the intent?

In that scenario you did not roll the 5, you built it. What Garshell means by "mix" is after the first assault, when you roll for the 5+, if you roll another 5 you may re-roll another die used in the second assault.
Back to top Go down
berv63
Villager

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty29th December 2017, 10:29 pm

Minotaur Abilities Pic3902177_md

This is my production copy of the Minotaur. Was the bit "other than his starting area" intentionally removed?

This seems to suggest the Minotaur can now move out of area A, into area B and back to area A with his charge ability hitting both areas A and B.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Minotaur Abilities Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minotaur Abilities   Minotaur Abilities Empty

Back to top Go down

Minotaur Abilities
Page 1 of 1