A GOOD PLACE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official MYTHIC BATTLES: PANTHEON message board.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Pre-Based Models! NO!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Teymenator
Villager
Teymenator

Pre-Based Models! NO! Empty
PostSubject: Pre-Based Models! NO!   Pre-Based Models! NO! Empty4th March 2017, 7:30 am

I just seen a lets play with Leo and seen the minis in action! i must say the painted version were VERY nice to look at and loved the hydra ut us a  beautiful piece! BUT one thing that has me very very worried is that the minis come glued to the base! which makes painting and base designing specialty bases a nightmare! Please please don't make them with bases already added or glued to them. If someone doesnt wish to paint or do base designings on them gluing feet to a base takes 30 seconds. removing a model with out damaging the model is by far harder. Is it to late or possible to make sure the models come non based?
Back to top Go down
Cryocat
Villager
Cryocat

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Based Models! NO!   Pre-Based Models! NO! Empty4th March 2017, 2:38 pm

I would say this ship has already sailed, got a good tip on how to remove them from their bases? Smile
Back to top Go down
kal91a
Villager
kal91a

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Based Models! NO!   Pre-Based Models! NO! Empty6th March 2017, 7:55 pm

As much as I agree with you, I think this is first and foremost a game. For gamers that don't paint their minis or do no more than a wash, they would think it's unreasonable to have to glue minis to a base. For the painters among us, separating mini from base is something we had to do often anyway. Just be glad it's only plastic and not pewter, where a sharp hobby knife is all you need to do the trick.
Back to top Go down
esesen
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Based Models! NO!   Pre-Based Models! NO! Empty7th March 2017, 10:15 am

Yes, I'm agree with kal91a. Although it would be very convenience for some of us, for the majority it would be very annoying.

I will begin to make my own bases. Wich sizes do you think I will need? For troops and heros, 25 or 32 mm? And for gods (32 or 40 mm)?
Back to top Go down
Teymenator
Villager
Teymenator

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Based Models! NO!   Pre-Based Models! NO! Empty8th March 2017, 5:46 am

I usually try sanding the bases off to make sure i keep them as level as possible. I am lucky in the sense i have a rather full garage full of power tools. I use a belt sander and sweat my rear off worrying i am oging to snap the legs or some other peice when i get the base really thin i stop and use regular sand paper but doing this to 100+ minis is ogign to be a lot of extra work. as to base size. i seen so many diffrent base sizes from troops to monstoers to gods that i might have to template a few of them and make wooden bases or somethign else nto sure what yet. i will have to wait and see. if anyone has a better idea on how ot make sure i debase these without destroying them it would be great. since iam down to one good arm and shitty vision i am open to try anything!
Back to top Go down
kal91a
Villager
kal91a

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Based Models! NO!   Pre-Based Models! NO! Empty8th March 2017, 9:48 pm

Whoa, you use power sander to sand off bases? I wouldn't use that even for pewter, let alone plastic. But now I understand why you dread the base being pre-attached.

Might I recommend just using an Exacto Knife? If you are nervous about knives, then maybe an approach with pliers and file. Since it sounds like you plan on creating a completely new base for each mini, you can destroy the one that the mini is attached to. Use a pair of pliers to clip off excess around the feet. Then clip off the excess directly under the feet, but leaving just a bit (1/2 -1 mm) so you are sure you are not ruining details. Then just file away the last bit slowly using a needle file.

To be honest, I often leave less than 1/2 mm when removing my minis from pre-attached base or tabs, but until you get the hang of it, leaving more is better than risking lost of toes or sandal or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Teymenator
Villager
Teymenator

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Based Models! NO!   Pre-Based Models! NO! Empty1st May 2017, 9:41 am

The sad part is i am kind of joking yet not joking about sandingt bases off. the way my eyes and hands are no wa days i wouldnt trust me with a paper knife let alone with power tools or a real knife. i am on the wait and see what i get mode. I love making bases for models but the issue is making a good base requires the model to be out of the way. but i can make do if i have to. i can see the hydra walking out of a river. i would make the base multi level. or it would look that way. you have the hydra on a slanted base. first half of the hydra is on the beach or grass bank while the other half of the hydra is in the water walking out. add water effects to the other half and it can look almost real! basing a model can bring a model to life. it adds depth and character to something that was lovingly scuplted , then built and fianlly painted by someone. why stop with the miniturare when the base helps it come to life!
Back to top Go down
kal91a
Villager
kal91a

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Based Models! NO!   Pre-Based Models! NO! Empty1st May 2017, 6:39 pm

Oh wow, that base you described sounds awesome! Please post a pic of it to inspire the rest of us when you are done. My own foray into custom basing isn't anything so elaborate, usually just a bit of cork, sand, and some flocking for vegetation. And I'm pants on working with Realistic Water and Water Effect (or whatever equivalent products you use). I can never prevent the material from rising up too far onto the figure (from the surface tension which causes it to curve up), and I can't seem to get colours right. If I paint a bit white onto it for foam, it would just look like a white mess.
Back to top Go down
Teymenator
Villager
Teymenator

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Based Models! NO!   Pre-Based Models! NO! Empty1st May 2017, 11:44 pm

i reall y need to get a good camera. I have a mawloc i based for my tyranid 40k army that is made out of dig this. play dough, kitty liter, and some dirt and sand. then i put resin mixed with paint into the center of it and looks like a noxious spawning pool. I really want to add acid drool and meant to cut a space marine in half and make it look like he was being melted intot he pool for biomass. i found out that you can use zip kick to speef up the hardening process depending on the resin thickness. i had a not so tight seal on my mawloc and the resin was running everywhere!!! Grabbed the zip kick and sprayed the edges adn BAM stopped leaking. I got really really lucky that day. I think my painting and basing are only so so. compared to what i see in the magazines and online. But when i get a good enough camera i will try to take some pictures....i might try video i do have a camcorder...hmmm you just gave me an idea lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Based Models! NO!   Pre-Based Models! NO! Empty

Back to top Go down

Pre-Based Models! NO!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
A GOOD PLACE :: Workbench :: Miniatures-
Jump to: