A GOOD PLACE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official MYTHIC BATTLES: PANTHEON message board.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Rock & Roll

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
esesen
Villager

Rock & Roll Empty
PostSubject: Rock & Roll   Rock & Roll Empty24th February 2017, 1:53 pm

Hi all,

I have finished my rocks. First of all I have to tell you that is the first time I make scenery stuff but I'm quite satisfied about the result.

I have used Porexpan (the white bubbled material) and I think is not the best because it breaks easily and has a texture that you must to cover. It was 3 - 3,5 cm wide so I have cut three equal pieces and glued them with PVA. First I have made a pattern on paper with the two rocks shape as it appears on the PnP (I really hope they were in real size!).

Rock & Roll 32960846971_a514d92417_z

After that, I have covered with a thick layer of putty.

Rock & Roll 32242087134_4987765760_k

I've glued some cork rocks and a broken column I've made.

Rock & Roll 33087661005_290707ae6c_k

A thin layer of PVA to glue the rocky sand for the upper terrain.

Rock & Roll 32242073444_e323c97622_k

Black primer.

Rock & Roll 33087653075_be769bfca1_k

Some painting job. First with the aero a 45º spray with a medium grey and a 90º spray with very clear grey. Second a dry brush with the same clear grey. For the upper terrain I've used a dark brown and a dry brush of clear brown.

Rock & Roll 32960824251_67e3bd0c95_k

Then I have varnish all the rock.

And finally a thin layer of PVA on top to glue the static grass and some grass tufts.

The big rock.

Rock & Roll 32960822031_e4d1b27d4f_k

And the little one.

Rock & Roll 32272620083_bdfbede0a8_k
Back to top Go down
Telgar
Hero
Telgar

Rock & Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll   Rock & Roll Empty24th February 2017, 2:07 pm

Very Nice.

I had a different idea (we'll see is I implement it some day) : use the same kind of material (but I was thinking of only "1 layer" ; cut it in the shape of the elevated area (like you did) and stick on its top the map artwork - so much more simple than your "true 3D" area element. (but simpler to store I expect)
Back to top Go down
https://the-overlord.com/
esesen
Villager

Rock & Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll   Rock & Roll Empty24th February 2017, 4:41 pm

Thanks Telgar.

Yes, they are massive! But I thought that it must interrupt the line of sight of a Titan too. So, I take Atlas height as a reference. I will need an extra box to store all my terrain stuff, but I want to use more realistic trees too and everything I will be able to make.

It's a good idea to stick it in the board, but as it is foldable it may remain sticked if the elevated area remains on the top or on the bottom when foldable.

And for the material, after my brief experience, I have to recommend you to use high density polystyrene as I have seen in almost every tutorial I have watched.

Last edited by esesen on 24th February 2017, 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Telgar
Hero
Telgar

Rock & Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll   Rock & Roll Empty24th February 2017, 4:47 pm

Alas, Atlas is not a good reference. I fear he is the smallest of the Titans ! Laughing (his growth was probably impaired by the huge mass he had to carry for so long).

I wasn't thinking about sticking the "rock" on the map (but maybe using bluetack) but rather printing the map on paper and gluing this paper on top of polystyrene.

Actually a nice option would have been if MG had provided a punch board with these map areas (elevated areas from each board). Not so thick but enough so that you can't miss it on the board.
Back to top Go down
https://the-overlord.com/
esesen
Villager

Rock & Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll   Rock & Roll Empty24th February 2017, 4:55 pm

Ouch! I have misunderstood you! It's a good a simply idea!!
Back to top Go down
Teymenator
Villager
Teymenator

Rock & Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll   Rock & Roll Empty4th March 2017, 9:46 am

i must say if that is your first shot at making terrain. I cant WAIT to see how you come along later in life. that is a great job. you used colors very well and the highlights on the edges of the rock look great! I just have one question a lot of times if you use a rattle can to prime the foam you used it will shrivel or be eaten away by the aerosol in the can. did you use an airbrush for the paint and primer or just a brush or rattle can? But i still love your results they look great.
Back to top Go down
esesen
Villager

Rock & Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll   Rock & Roll Empty4th March 2017, 10:53 am

Thanks Teymenator.

I've used airbrush for the primer, the base coat and first highlights. Brush for the base coat of the upper ground and for the dry brush. Nevertheless, as the texture of the foam I've used is very "bubblish", first of all I've covered it with a thick layer of putty so, I suppose there would be no problem using a rattle can.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rock & Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll   Rock & Roll Empty

Back to top Go down

Rock & Roll
Page 1 of 1