A GOOD PLACE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official MYTHIC BATTLES: PANTHEON message board.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Range and how it is calculated

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Adam Adam
Villager
Adam Adam

Range and how it is calculated Empty
PostSubject: Range and how it is calculated   Range and how it is calculated Empty12th January 2017, 7:35 pm

So in a play through the other night my buddy and I were questioning how to calculate range.

He was playing Atalanta up on one of the rock units thereby making her range 3 (2 + 1).

The rules state that you are to use the center point of an area to the center point of another area. So when the straight line would pass through just a sliver of an area it seemed a little ridiculous to limit the range because of that.

See the red and yellow lines in the image. Attacking from the rocks you could potentially have 3 range for your attacks.
- In the case of the red line you'd be passing through 3 areas before reaching the forest area (3). -- So it would seem you couldn't reach that area with an attack range of 3.

- In the case of the yellow line you'd have roughly the same result even with the line just barely crossing into the (4) area.

- In the case of the blue line (assuming you have a range of 2) you couldn't attack from the forest to the ruins area because you would incur your 2 range from the (5) and (4) areas before reaching your destination.

Does this seem correct?

Range and how it is calculated Olypmu10
Back to top Go down
Orword
Villager
Orword

PostSubject: Re: Range and how it is calculated   Range and how it is calculated Empty12th January 2017, 8:36 pm

Drawing those lines is useful to make sure there is no obstacle when you're performing a ranged attack, not to calculate whether you can reach that area. From what I understand, for a unit to be considered whitin range, it simply needs to be located a number of Areas less than or equal to the Range of the attacking Unit (Rulebook, p. 15). However, I too would like to know if those "slivers" you mentioned should be considered when verifying if there is any obstacle to shooting.
Back to top Go down
Telgar
Hero
Telgar

PostSubject: Re: Range and how it is calculated   Range and how it is calculated Empty12th January 2017, 9:14 pm

I believe this needs to be properly addressed in the upcoming draft rules.
My understanding is that we use the line between both areas center to determine obstacles on the line of sight. However, distance is calculated as if a unit would try to move (as quickly as possible) to the target area.
Back to top Go down
https://the-overlord.com/
Cryocat
Villager
Cryocat

PostSubject: Re: Range and how it is calculated   Range and how it is calculated Empty12th January 2017, 9:21 pm

That would be the easier solution Telgar so I hope that is how it is
Back to top Go down
WTFGamer
Villager
WTFGamer

PostSubject: Re: Range and how it is calculated   Range and how it is calculated Empty13th January 2017, 3:09 pm

Telgar wrote:

My understanding is that we use the line between both areas center to determine obstacles on the line of sight. However, distance is calculated as if a unit would try to move (as quickly as possible) to the target area.

QW confirmed this in the KS comments when I asked about it. I fully expect these details to be in the manual when he gets to that section.

Also... Elevated areas ignore Line of Sight obstacles. It's on the rules aid of the PnP.
Back to top Go down
Telgar
Hero
Telgar

PostSubject: Re: Range and how it is calculated   Range and how it is calculated Empty3rd February 2017, 3:36 pm

Latest rules confirmed the calculation for range (shortest route).
Back to top Go down
https://the-overlord.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Range and how it is calculated   Range and how it is calculated Empty

Back to top Go down

Range and how it is calculated
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
A GOOD PLACE :: Mythic Battles: Pantheon :: Gameplay-
Jump to: