The official MYTHIC BATTLES: PANTHEON message board.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What if we talk about tournaments?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Peps
Villager

PostSubject: What if we talk about tournaments?   16th February 2017, 3:07 pm

On 5th November Ben & me organized one of the first tournaments of Mythic Battles: Pantheon in Aubagne (Provence).

We organized a team tournament (2 vs 2), with 16 players (8 teams), which is according to us a good beginning!

The aim was to organize 3 rounds with a swiss system, with a final game against the 2 best teams after these 3 rounds. Unfortunately we had to adapt because we didn't receive the 2 prototypes sent by the Mythic team on time, due to problems with transport. So we changed our mind and only made 2 rounds (which is not enough according to me for a swiss-system tournament). Despite that, everything went well and the 16 players enjoyed, which is always our main target Wink

Before this tournament we discussed to know how to count points, as a swiss system cannot go well if we count on a "binary basis" (1 point for victory, 0 point for defeat).

What we put in place for this tournament is:

1/ Each round lasts 15 minutes for the draft, and 45 minutes for the game (if we had received the protos in time, it would have been 15mn for the draft and 1h for the game).

2/ For each table, at the end of each game, we calculate "game points".
"Game points" are calculated this way: "game points"= (VP lost by opposing gods) + 2x(number of omphalos absorbed by the team)

3/ The winning team is the one that wins the game before the 45mn, or the one with the most game points at the end of the game.
The winning team of the round gains 5 "round points", whereas the losing team gains 1 round point. In case of draw, each team gains 3 round points.
Draw happens when each team has the same "match points".

4/ In addition, a team can gain bonus points, depending of "game points".
Bonus points are calculated this way:
+2 round points for the winning team if: (game points of the winning team)-(game points of the losing team) > 5
+1 round point for the winning team if: (game points of the winning team)-(game points of the losing team) > 3
+1 round point for the losing team if: (game points of the winning team)-(game points of the losing team) < 2
+2 round points for the losing team if: (game points of the winning team)-(game points of the losing team) < 0 (it happened one time)

I hope everything's clear.

When we debriefed, we talked mainly of the time limit. Players were not on a very competitive state of mind, so everything was OK, but in that case we could have some blocking situations with a team losing time because they have more game points (anti-play situation).
Time limit was put in place to facilitate organization, because in tournaments (in any game, by the way) some players sometimes take too much time to play.
The conclusion of the discussion for me was that the best system would be a kind of chess clock mode : each team has a total of 30mn to play, and they utilize their time as they want (some turns could last 5mn whereas others could last less than 1mn). The question is then : "what if a team has no time left?". This is a good question Smile

I think that the "bonus point" system is a little bit heavy, and the experience showed that many winning teams received 2 bonus points, making them nearly unreachable. My opinion is that it is not good for the tournament, it becomes "tensionless".
I think that for the next tournament we will calculate the bonus points as such:
+1 round point for the winning team if: (game points of the winning team)-(game points of the losing team) > 5 (large victory)
+1 round point for the losing team if: (game points of the winning team)-(game points of the losing team) < 2 (short defeat)

What should be discussed also:
What about a +1 bonus point for a game won before the time limit?
Changing the game points calculation: "game points"= (VP lost by opposing gods) + 3x(number of omphalos absorbed by the team)

I let you comment this and share your ideas!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What if we talk about tournaments?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1