A GOOD PLACE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official MYTHIC BATTLES: PANTHEON message board.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Rocks and Melee Attacks

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
IronSyndicate
Villager

Rocks and Melee Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Rocks and Melee Attacks   Rocks and Melee Attacks Empty8th February 2017, 12:11 am

Hi all,

I was watching the latest Beasts of War playthrough and came upon a ruling that seemed very odd to me.

At one point through the playthrough the Nemian Lion climbed to the top of one of the rocks, this gave him +1 Range which effectively turned his melee attack into a range 1 attack.

I understand that rocks give you +1 range, and it would make perfect sense for that bonus to apply to pre-existing ranged attacks (you're higher up, so you shoot further) - but to apply that bonus to a melee attack just seems... weird. Are the Lion's claws magically extended so he can hit farther? Does a sword become longer?

I realize this was probably done to streamline the rules, but it just seems awakward to me.

Am I alone here? Anyone else think it's strange?

I think I might houserule that the +1 range bonus only applies to attacks that have at least 1 range to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Orword
Villager
Orword

PostSubject: Re: Rocks and Melee Attacks   Rocks and Melee Attacks Empty8th February 2017, 12:47 am

I agree it doesn't make that much sense, but rules can't always be realistically accurate. I can't deny it bothers me as well so -were it up to me- I'd simply remove the Climb talent from those units. Smile
Back to top Go down
IronSyndicate
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Rocks and Melee Attacks   Rocks and Melee Attacks Empty8th February 2017, 12:56 am

Climb still has its uses for non-ranged characters - it can be used defensively to get you out of melee ranged or it can be used to neutralize ranged characters with climb.

If I see my opponent grabbed Artemis and Medusa - I will sure as hell want to take the Lion or Achilles so I can deal with them quickly...

There is already a distinction between melee attacks and ranged attacks (forests protect you from ranged attack*), so I see no reason why the rule can't be "Provides +1 ranged to all ranged attacks".

* This actually brings up an interesting point - if I'm on a rock and I'm using a buffed melee attack to attack an adjacent forest, does the defender get the forest bonus since I'm technically making a ranged attack?
Back to top Go down
Orword
Villager
Orword

PostSubject: Re: Rocks and Melee Attacks   Rocks and Melee Attacks Empty8th February 2017, 1:16 am

The current rulebook does not use the terms ranged or melee and doesn't even distinguish units by their range at all (for various reasons). Something like "The 1+ Range bonus is not applied to original Range 0 units" could maybe work. Still I'm not convinced it's worth making an exception to the rule for this pretty specific case. Bear in mind that even Ares, who wields a sword, has 1 Range.
Regarding your question, I believe every attack at Range 1+ (which includes Range 0 units using the +1 Range bonus for elevated areas) will suffer the +1 Defence bonus to the target if the latter is located in a forest area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rocks and Melee Attacks   Rocks and Melee Attacks Empty

Back to top Go down

Rocks and Melee Attacks
Page 1 of 1