The official MYTHIC BATTLES: PANTHEON message board.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
skies
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   3rd January 2017, 8:38 pm

Garshell wrote:
skies wrote:
I too found troops disappointingly underwhelming.  I'm okay with them not really being able to kill stuff (puny mortals!), but I do think they should be more useful.  I think coordination of troops is the main issue. I propose the following buffs combination for consideration:

a) When using the 'deploy on the board' special action, troops may deploy to the location of a god (and maybe on other units too) instead of the edge of the board.  So basically you can rally them using an Art of War card, or you do the equivalent of a rally by using an activation.  This would make positioning them and then using them WAY easier.  It would also let you 'rally' by using an activation and activation card (which are precious too) instead of using an art of war card.
b) Leader allows you to search your deck OR discard pile to get an activation card.  This way you'd always get a card, making the troops easier to use.  I found leader to be a bit useless once I drew  and used troop cards.
c) When discarding an AoW card to rally troops, you can choose to put them either at a god or a character with leader.

+1 i like those rules too =)

I would change the SEARCH tactics too. You could SEARCH your Deck OR your Discard Pile. That would be nice when you got emmergency (moving god or other)

Thanks.  Troops are probably pretty good when you only use 1 as a shield for your god and really know how to use them.  But so far using multiple troops at once, an idea that seems really cool, just is bad.

Using more than one troop at once is ultimately fail because they are so weak to area attacks.  You can rally to bring them back, but since the only target is the god, you usually end up putting them all in the same spot, and stacking units that are weak to area attacks on the same space is just silly.  Otherwise, you have to walk them back on from the edge, and that takes forever.  You could use a ranged troop and try to keep them out of harms way, but this is just worse than using a different unit because the attack value on troops is so low, so it's not a good 'multiple troops' strategy.

For use of multiple troops to be viable, you really just need more ways to efficiently get them to more places on the board.  That's it.  Troops are weak, but if you can coordinate them with heroes it's hard for the opponent to ignore it.  And having hordes of troops get wiped out during a game (even if they are yours) is really fun and makes the powerful monsters feel powerful.

I'd be really hesitant to change the search tactics to let you get any card.  Actually, I think it's a terrible idea.  Right now the rate that gods can absorb omphalos is tied to deck cycles, as is the rate that units can actually attack the gods.  If you could get ahead of that rate it you could then just save some art of war cards and use Ares to rapid run around and absorb omphalos.  All I'd need is board control and I could move and absorb an omphalos a turn. I think a lot of the balance would fall apart because having more or less activation cards would mean a lot less than it does.  Troops getting more activations through leader only doesn't seem like it could break much, but who knows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teowulff
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   3rd January 2017, 8:49 pm

Pseudonyme wrote:
Just a stupid question, Teowulff, did you play games with non KSE units?
Not stupid at all ... Razz
Army 1: Artemis, Basilisk, Arachne, Chiron, Hippolyta, Toxotai
Army 2: Hepaestus, Colchidan Dragon, Chimera, Ajax, Argonauts
Army 3: Hera, Sisyphus, Lycaon, Eagle, Gryphon, Python, Paris
Army 4: Typhon, Bellerophon, Eurytion

So basically non-core box units, including some KSE.

skies wrote:
I too found troops disappointingly underwhelming.  I'm okay with them not really being able to kill stuff (puny mortals!), but I do think they should be more useful.  I think coordination of troops is the main issue. I propose the following buffs combination for consideration:

a) When using the 'deploy on the board' special action, troops may deploy to the location of a god (and maybe on other units too) instead of the edge of the board.  So basically you can rally them using an Art of War card, or you do the equivalent of a rally by using an activation.  This would make positioning them and then using them WAY easier.  It would also let you 'rally' by using an activation and activation card (which are precious too) instead of using an art of war card.
b) Leader allows you to search your deck OR discard pile to get an activation card.  This way you'd always get a card, making the troops easier to use.  I found leader to be a bit useless once I drew  and used troop cards.
c) When discarding an AoW card to rally troops, you can choose to put them either at a god or a character with leader.
Well .. it's reassuring that I'm not the only one with second thoughts about Troops .. ! Smile

Agreed with these proposals - or some of them. Especially recalling and summoning them in the area of a God or hero with Leader. Like Diomedes .. would make his Phalanx a bit more useful when it matters.
These proposals would already make Troops better and more useful - without changing their intrinsic abilities! That's a good thing, balance-wise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skies
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   3rd January 2017, 9:16 pm

Also, if units aren't fully set yet, it would be interesting to see a hero the the ability that at the end of his activation he refreshes a nearby damaged troop to full strength.

It would also be interesting to see a troop that could deploy to any zone on the board as a special action but can't pick up omphalos.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Biel
Spartan

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   3rd January 2017, 9:25 pm

skies wrote:

b) Care, Leader looks really more efficient in 2v2 or 1v3 games ?

On BGG forum I did propose that "Leader" talent could be change in that way : "At the beginning of your turn, you can look for a troop card that is in the same aera of one of your leaders. Then, in order you want, you must activate that troop and that leader unit, without discarding an Art of War card for thoose two activations."

Like this, troops can stay close with their leader. And when the fight is coming, Heroes with Bolster can go first too motivate their troops, Heroes with Sneak attack can send their troops first too distract target's attention, etc...

skies wrote:
Garshell wrote:
I would change the SEARCH tactics too. You could SEARCH your Deck OR your Discard Pile. That would be nice when you got emmergency (moving god or other)
I'd be really hesitant to change the search tactics to let you get any card.  Actually, I think it's a terrible idea.  Right now the rate that gods can absorb omphalos is tied to deck cycles, as is the rate that units can actually attack the gods.  If you could get ahead of that rate it you could then just save some art of war cards and use Ares to rapid run around and absorb omphalos.  All I'd need is board control and I could move and absorb an omphalos a turn. I think a lot of the balance would fall apart because having more or less activation cards would mean a lot less than it does.  Troops getting more activations through leader only doesn't seem like it could break much, but who knows.
+1 Skies
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Biel
Spartan

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   4th January 2017, 12:05 am

Voice of Olympus wrote:
Petrified gods can recall troops.
The Medusa's dashboard says a unit can't recall a troop. Modified or special rule for Medusa ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malamute
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   4th January 2017, 1:26 am

As I recall, during the KS campaign i remember the MB team being surprised people wanted so many troops. They said they figured people would more likely be using heroes and monsters so it seems unusual to want more troops.

So, i took it as, they are fodder and there to make sure people get their full RP of units, and they are not extraordinarily useful.

But it did pump up the raw number on miniatures we would receive which is why I think troops were asked for a lot by backers. Miniatures numbers, not game function.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malamute
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   4th January 2017, 1:30 am

And thanks teowulff, I appreciate these type of threads with actual gameplay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Voice of Olympus
Herald

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   4th January 2017, 10:50 am

@Biel - Petrified and recall - possibly a bit of confusion. I'll check.

@Malamute - we were surprised at the constant push for more troops for all the reasons we explained at the time. Still, in the end I think we got a pretty good balance of unit types. Certainly nobody can complain that there's not enough choice Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teowulff
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   4th January 2017, 11:37 am

Malamute wrote:
As I recall, during the KS campaign i remember the MB team being surprised people wanted so many troops. They said they figured people would more likely be using heroes and monsters so it seems unusual to want more troops.
So, i took it as, they are fodder and there to make sure people get their full RP of units, and they are not extraordinarily useful.
But it did pump up the raw number on miniatures we would receive which is why I think troops were asked for a lot by backers. Miniatures numbers, not game function.
Voice of Olympus wrote:
we were surprised at the constant push for more troops for all the reasons we explained at the time. Still, in the end I think we got a pretty good balance of unit types. Certainly nobody can complain that there's not enough choice Smile
Well to be honest this surprises me. If Troops don't really matter that much and are only limited:
a. I think people mainly wanted Troops for fluff, as they didn't/couldn't know how useful they would be. A game without Troops would feel more like a Gladiator arena with 2 teams instead of a two army battle.
b. Why have them in the first place if you may as well offer recallable generic 1RP heroes or monsters without utility ('bodyguards') - instead of inventing loads of complicated specific rules and talents just for these 1RP units? Doesn't it needlessly complicate things?
c. On the other hand: Troops like Sirens do have very specific uses, so apparently it is possible to have more variation and utility. If you had given the Stymphalian Birds the same "evasion for free" talent as Icarus, for example. Why stick to just the Sirens? Why not have 1RP utility Troops instead of 1RP heroes, it's a bit of a missed chance? It would make troops a lot more versatile while they'd still be weak and disposable.
d. About 60% of the heroes and 11 out of 13 Gods (85%) have one or more Troops related boosts, which makes recruiting troops almost mandatory if you want to fully utilize that unit; I think that's very disproportional. Why not hand out a few more Close Protection and Sneak Attack talents to make these units more Troops independent;

Personally I would remove Phalanx from the game and give heroes and Gods more Close Protection or Sneak Attack (why not call it "Ambush"). I would make Leader and Bolster into one talent and would appoint a few hero and God "Leaders" (like Leonidas, Agamemnon, Hector, Odysseus, Athena) as specific Troops support units while removing Troops specific talents from most of the others. To make Troops a bit more tough in general you could give some of them the Close Protection or Sneak Attack talent as well.

Voice of Olympus wrote:
@Biel - Petrified and recall - possibly a bit of confusion. I'll check.
Another recall question: as a God recalls a Troops unit to its location, does it also work when the God stands on a cliff? The current rules would say yes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Voice of Olympus
Herald

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   4th January 2017, 12:32 pm

I never said that troops don't matter that much. What I did say is that they are not the main focus of the game. As supporting units they are fine.

A god can recall a unit to any terrain type.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teowulff
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   4th January 2017, 1:07 pm

Voice of Olympus wrote:
I never said that troops don't matter that much. What I did say is that they are not the main focus of the game. As supporting units they are fine.
Well, I still think "not main focus" and "supporting" doesn't feel like that - if 59% of the Gods/Heroes have talents to support of benefit from Troops. What talents are concerned it would definitely seem that Troops are the main focus of the game.
I really think the number of Troops skills on all those units should be reduced/replaced.

Voice of Olympus wrote:
A god can recall a unit to any terrain type.
Thanks for that! So there is a way to get Toxotai, Artillerymen and Centaurs on a cliff after all! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malamute
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   4th January 2017, 2:07 pm

Well, I figured with all the options available already, some people will figure out AWESOME ways to use troops effectively in Skirmish battles.  I already have a couple ideas.  <eg>

Also, in specific scenarios and campaigns, troops will be essential in those cases to play out stories.

So, I suppose I should have said what I said 'nicer', but these are just what they are,... troops.  

They exist in almost every game worth its weight, and tend to find their way into many useful situations.  I could make MtG references to explain myself better, but I suppose most wouldn't know what I was saying. But for those that do,... think of troops as agro deck critters or the classic 2/2 for 2 bears.  They is what they is. And I believe all the extra boosts for troops in the game are what are already making those troops playable.  

But , i must say, i would rather have seen 3 less troops in the game and gotten another titan, God and Hero if given the choice.

:-)

So, for reasons stated, troops can and will likely be very useful for certain drafting builds in skirmish, and are indispensable in story driven scenarios and campaigns.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malamute
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   4th January 2017, 2:14 pm

Does that make sense teowulf?

Troops have Some usefulness in skirmish(maybe less than some would like); but are the key, IMO, to playing story based scenarios and campaigns.

So,... yea.... :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skies
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   4th January 2017, 3:32 pm

I don't think troops need any boost except for the ability to re-enter the field with more flexibility.  Recalling to a god is great, but that also means that unless hanging out with your god is the plan for the troops, an opponent can counter your plan by crippling or destroying said troop with a single attack from a single unit.

Coordinating with troops is also really hard. Most of the troop abilities occur at the end of the activation, so in the case of advancing toward the enemy, troops have to advance first so that the hero with leader can later advance into the troops.  Any careful coordination you do is mitigated by a single attack to decimate your troops. At that point, troops have made your deck clunky and your turns slow.  Walking troops back on to the battlefield is impractical since they only get 3 action cards per cycle.  While rallying troops is a strong ability, those art of war cards are really valuable.  So by letting troops rally to other places, you still have to use art of war cards to get more troops out there.  You can't just do it willy nilly because the opponent will probably (it's hard not to) have an ability that costs an art of war card capable of wiping out your new unit AND doing something else.  I think allowing troops to deploy to units (as in you have no troops on the board) as a special action is also not that great because you either spend art of war cards to activate the a more powerful unit second, or your turn is just deploying the troops which is not that great compared to activating a more powerful unit in most cases.

My hope is that if you think troops are cool, you can field an army that uses them without choking on your activation cards.  Cinematic-ally, I think of it like this: When you take troops, you don't just take a squad. You field an army.  But mortals are no match for the gods.  So while the battlefield is full with armies of troops, they are so effortlessly defeated and cast aside that it's as if they weren't there at all (so we don't put them on the board). But a god (or leader or maybe even hero) can inspire the few around them having the strength and courage to not run despite the futility and direct them to make a meaningful impact on the battle, at which point we put models on the board.  

Except for those courageous few, troops are basically like the dudes fighting Sauron at the start of Lord of the Rings.  He is able to crush and route them without even slowing down, so it's as if they aren't even there.  But gods (or hopefully great heroes) can muster a few in their vicinity and call them to action.  Thus, as there are already 'troops' all over the board clashing, more options to 'respawn' troops toward the front lines is something I'd really like to see.

I don't think troops should get any power buffs because, frankly, it's still ordinary men fighting the gods.  If ordinary men could kill a hydra, Heracles wouldn't have had to do it.  An exceptional man might be able to hurt it some, but it would return the favor by wiping out everyone and regenerating.  To go back to the Sauron example, the only difference between those courageous few facing Sauron and a stock troops is that those few would succeed in slowing Sauron down, a least little.  These things are what happens in game now, and I don't want that to change.  I think the loss of troop abilities with damage is in line too. It's a little hard to keep it together when cerebrus heading (get it!) straight at you, it's impossible once it starts eating half your squad. Troops when ignored or roll really well should be able to scratch other units, and they can.  Otherwise their uses should be limited to getting in the way and running around with omphalos.  While a troop with just 1 soldier left is super weak, it only takes 1 guy to carry the omphalos away and turn the battle.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teowulff
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   4th January 2017, 3:40 pm

Malamute wrote:
Does that make sense teowulf?

Troops have Some usefulness in skirmish(maybe less than some would like); but are the key, IMO,  to playing story based scenarios and campaigns.

So,... yea.... :-)
Sure Wink .. you know, I actually LOVE the whole idea of Troops in the game and I am very happy to read that they will play a key role in scenarios!

I just wished they were a bit more varied and useful in the skirmish game - and most important: less interwoven into the talents of the majority of heroes and Gods.
It just feels limiting and it plays everything excepty smoothly. As Skies (and others) wrote: "Coordinating with troops is also really hard". I'm convinced it would be better if Troops and other units would be able to operate more independently.

I basically want to see an incentive to recruit Troops and not rather pick two 2RP units instead of a 3RP + Troop, for example. I've seen what Lycaos and the Eagle (2RP units) can do - and it's very impressive.
The AC clogging, tedious micromanagement and unreliable boosts don't really favour picking Troops at the moment.
I just don't want to see that the metagame will prove Troops useless (except for Sirens and Harpies/Birds) and that they will gather dust in my box because they're just not really viable.

skies wrote:
troops are basically like the dudes fighting Sauron at the start of Lord of the Rings.  He is able to crush and route them without even slowing down, so it's as if they aren't even there.
LOL I was actually thinking exactly the same .. just have been watching all 6 extended movies this holiday! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Pit
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   10th January 2017, 3:09 pm

Hello!
I just made a couple of game, and still consider myself as a newbie, but i want to express y feelings on troops, as the topic is "on the table".

I really found interesting teowulf statement that MBP is not a game focused on troop ( which is a matter of design, and should not be criticize), and thus, a majority of talents for god and heroes rely on troops.
I wonder if we acknowledge that troops are intentionnaly "underpowered", and that RP spent in troops have not the same impact as RP in heroes or monster, what about God/heroes relying on troops?
Are they intended to "fix" troops flaws , with some kind of talents? those talents could be more "efficient" if they were more "brutal"... 2 games are not enough, of course, but i think there is some kind of "structural risk"
(for example, a couple heroe+troop could be as powerful than a monster, but is more threatened by area effects, and more fragile since if one or the other part is destroyed, the whole thing become weak, unlike monster which keep is strenght whatever happens before is death)

My second thought is about gameply experience: I can recognize that losing talents at first blood is balanced for game mechanics even if it is not still my feeling(again, 2 battles is not enough to affirm anythng, and my feeling after these games is that losing talents is a BIG flaw).
The major advantage of troop is the ability to be recalled. really strategic and powerful (and somewhere a compensation of the talent loss at first blood)
BUT
the consequences are really differents at 1v1 and 2v2. as you can only recall troop at the end of your own turn, at 1v1, you can call them between each opposing activation (or couple of actvation) but at 2v2, before having a chance to get troops back, you have to waiit 2-4 opposing activation, at tat time, it will probably be too late for the recall. This is a problem, i think, that troop are even less effective at multigame...

=> I would propose to modify the timing of recalling troops, possibly at the end of any player turn, with 2 effects:
being able to recall troop before the second opponent turn in multi game, to keep theit defensive effect, and being able to recall troops defore your own turn, with the benefit of full power in case of attack.
I don't think this could be too powerful, you still need to pay AOW, at 1v1, it does not change many things, bonus from full troops have not the potential to change the course of a game, but at least, the player could have a optimized used of his troops (in the place of a strange feeling of uselessness)...
not sure it would be enough to get the troops "sexy", but maybe to get them some kind of appeal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VrNpc
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   10th January 2017, 8:01 pm

It seems like with leader, you could position your troops to encourage/force an opponent to use/waste a hero/monster/god card to deal with them, thereby gaining a bit of strategic card advantage. I have not had a chance to try this out yet. For those of you with PnP versions, does this seem like a viable tactic?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orword
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   10th January 2017, 8:25 pm

VrNpc wrote:
It seems like with leader, you could position your troops to encourage/force an opponent to use/waste a hero/monster/god card to deal with them, thereby gaining a bit of strategic card advantage. I have not had a chance to try this out yet. For those of you with PnP versions, does this seem like a viable tactic?

For sure! They can be recalled at any time, so every activation card you spend to kill them always feels like a bit of a waste. Besides, if you're playing Hades, you actually can't wait for your enemy to destroy them! bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Feue
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   10th January 2017, 10:33 pm

After reading the concerns you have about troops I decided to check actual stats between some troops and the only hero with cost 2 (Atalanta), and to be honest, I don't feel that in comparison they are disappointingly underwhelming.

If you check the spartans and amazons with the same layout as the heroes it would look like this:

-Spartans: Block, Mighty Throw.
5 - 6 - 0 - 1
4 - 6 - 0 - 1
3 - 6 - 0 - 1

- Amazons: Initiative, Climb.
4 - 4 - 2 - 1
4 - 4 - 2 - 1
3 - 4 - 2 - 1
3 - 4 - 2 - 1

Meanwhile Atalanta has the following stats:
- Atalanta: Initiative, Climb. - Powers: Huntress, Dodge.
5 - 6 - 2 - 1
5 - 6 - 2 - 1
4 - 6 - 2 - 1
4 - 5 - 1 - 1
4 - 5 - 1 - 0

In terms of raw stats they are more or less similar. Troops haver more health points, give the player more defensive and movement options (since they are 2 units) and also have recall. Atalanta has the powers and the AoW cards (which are good options too).

So at the end, I don't see great disadvantages in using the troops instead of 2RP heroes to be honest (Be free to correct me if I'm missing something since I have not played the game myself).

The only thing I would add as a personal taste is more variety to the troops, adding more talents or even simple powers to make them feel different.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Pit
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   10th January 2017, 11:56 pm

Orword wrote:
They can be recalled at any time
actually, they can only be recalled at the end of your own turn, which in my opinion is one part of my issue with troops.
vrnpc wrote:
you could position your troops to encourage/force an opponent to use/waste a hero/monster/god card
it would depends on context. if you rely on troop talent (e.g. 'guard') one single wound is sufficient to neutralise it, so that another troop should be able to cause that wound.

note: I have played "only" two pnp games, so...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Biel
Spartan

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   11th January 2017, 12:25 am

One single wound in enough to neutralize is talents, but not his capacity to bring back an Omphalos to his God Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Feue
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   11th January 2017, 1:52 am

I can't find where it says (checking the 2.5 rules) that a troop unit that is not complete loses its talents.

If this is the case I understand a bit better why the troops might feel a bit underpowered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LoMas
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   11th January 2017, 9:44 am

@Feue : Since an official core rule book isn't published, you can look at page 10 of the 2.0 core rule book of the pnp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forficule
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   11th January 2017, 1:11 pm

Troops have a "mass effect" : that's not a power nor a talent, and terrain bonuses neither are talents or powers. So I will play with mass effect bonus that stacks with terrain bonuses, and even stacks with powers or talents if applicable.
Rulebook p 19 : "if multiple talents or powers grant a bonus to the same characteristic, only [...] the greatest modifier is applied."
Further more :
Rulebook p 10 : "The unit's Talents can only be used when the troop is complete". Damn, it makes recall very important. When a "mass effect" is applicable if the troop is complete, it's written, so I assume that spartan like "mass effect" : +1 for each SPARTAN is always applicable, even with a single SPARTAN (giving him 3 instead of 2 when he attacks).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mario
Villager

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   11th January 2017, 1:50 pm

skies wrote:

I agree with your suggestions. This would give troops more options without buffing their stats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)   

Back to top Go down

Some first gameplay impressions (5 sessions)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next